Saturday, November 15, 2008

Surat Barack Obama Tentang Islam


I found the below letter from BArack Obama very interesting reading as it does shed a light on the new President's mindset in terms of how he views people. I still have a hard time believing that he will somehow shift the current trajectory of America's blatantly imperialist policies. I guess we can only wait and see.


-------------------------------------------
There has been a lot made in the recent weeks about the Muslim history
of my family. Some of the things that have been said are true, others
are false, so I am writing this letter to clear up the
misunderstandings on this issue.

Yes, it is true that I have a name that is common amongst Kenyan
Muslims where my father came from and that my middle name is Hussein.
Barack is a name which means "blessing" and Hussein is a masculine
form of the word beauty. Since there is nothing inherently wrong with
the concept of blessings from God and the beauty He creates I fail to
see the problem with these names. Some will say wouldn't it be a
problem to have a president with a name similar to the deposed and
executed former dictator of Iraq ? My answer to this is simply no;
rather it is the strength and beauty of America that the son of an
African man with a "funny sounding" name, born under British Colonial
Rule, can now be a serious candidate for the presidency of the United
States .

My father was a Muslim and although I did not know him well the
religion of my father and his family was always something I had an
interest in. This interest became more intense when my mother married
an Indonesian Muslim man and as a small child I lived in Indonesia and
attended school alongside Muslim pupils. I saw their parents dutifully
observing the daily prayers, the mothers covered in the Muslim hijab,
the atmosphere of the school change during Ramadan, and the
festiveness of the Eid celebrations.

The man my mother was married to was not particularly religious; but
he would attend the mosque on occasion, and had copies of the Quran in
different languages in the home, and books of the sayings and life of
the Prophet Muhammad. From time to time he would quote Islamic phrases
such as "no one truly believes until he wants for his brother what he
wants for himself", "oppression is worse than slaughter", and "all
humans are equal the only difference comes from our deeds".

Growing up in Hawaii with my mother and her grandparents Islam
largely escaped my mind. My mother installed in me the values of
humanism and I did not grow-up in a home were religion was taught.

It was later while I attended college at Columbia University and
Harvard Law that I became reacquainted with Muslims as both schools
had large Muslims student populations. Some of them were my friends
and many came from countries that our nation now has hostile relations
with. The background I had from my early childhood in Indonesia
helped me get to know them and learn from them and to me Muslims are
not to be looked upon as something strange. In my experiences up until
college a Muslim was no less exotic to me than a Mormon, a Jew, or a
Jehovah's Witness.

After college I settled in my adopted hometown of Chicago and lived
on the South Side and worked as a community organizer. Chicago has
one of the largest Muslim populations in America (estimated to be
around 300,000) and Muslims make-up some of the most productive
citizens in the area. I met countless numbers of Muslims in my job as
an organizer and later on in my early political career. I ate in their
homes, played with their kids, and looked at them as friends and peers
and sought their advice.

Therefore, when the tragic terrorist attacks of 9-11 occurred I was
deeply saddened with the rest of America , and I wanted justice for
the victims of this horrific attack, but I did not blame all Muslims
or the religion of Islam. From my experience I knew the good character
of most Muslims and the value that they bring to America . Many, who
did not personally know Muslims, indicted the entire religion for the
bad actions of a few; my experience taught me that this was something
foolish and unwise.

Later I had the chance to visit the homeland of my father and meet
Muslim relatives of my including my grandmother. I found that these
were people who wanted the same things out of life as people right
here in America and worked hard, strive to make a better way for
their children, and prayed to God to grant the success.

This is what I will bring to the office of the Presidency of the
United States . I will deal with Muslims from a position of
familiarity and respect and at this time in the history of our nation
that is something sorely needed.

Barack Obama

San Francisco, California , USA"

Klo mo jelasnya buka Link

0 comments: